On 15th February 1928, twenty one Master Mariners, all square rigged sailors met in Royal Mail House, Southampton, UK, and formed the Southampton Master Mariners’ Club
The motto “In Omnia Paratus” (in all things ready and prepared) was chosen.
The secondary title “The Cachalots” was adopted on the suggestion of Frank Bullen, a Master Mariner and writer of stories of the days of sail.”The Cachalot whale had the thickest skin, blew the hardest and spouted the most!”
The club badge was designed by Laurence Pritchard, an artist friend of Reg Gleave OBE ( the Club’s first Hon. Recorder who was present at the inaugural meeting) and he also executed the beautiful illuminated Certificate formerly presented to Stowaways, the first of whom were the Rt Rev F T Woods, Lord Bishop of Winchester, and Admiral of the Fleet, Earl Jellicoe of Scapa.
The Club presently has approximately 350 Cachalot Members and is based above the Seafarers’ Centre in Southampton, at
1st Floor, 12-14 Queens Terrace, Southampton, SO14 3BP
Tel/Fax 023 8022 6155